[R-sig-Geo] How to test spatial dependence in errorsarlm

Javier García javier.garcia at ehu.eus
Mon Aug 14 04:18:29 CEST 2017

So testing for spatial dependence on the residuals by means of the
lm.LMtests (option LMerr, the only that works with residuals) is wrong,
isn't it? I had read in some forum that this was a posible way to test it...

In my case the Moran test and the LM tests (both LMerr and LMlag, and also
their robust versions) are strongly rejected (p-values between 4.307e-06
and 2.2e-16). As the rejection is stronger for the spatial error model, my
suspicion was that this could be the best model to capture the spatial
dependence (in fact the log-likelihood is bigger for the spatial error
model, and the AIC lower). However, how can I know whether the spatial error
model is a good option if I cannot test the absence of spatial dependence in
the residuals? And how can I know, as you suspect, whether I have a
misspecification problem? Moreover, I also estimated the Durbin model, and
in this case the LM test on the residuals suggests no spatial dependence
(for the spatial lag model I get the opposite conclusion), but due to the
nature of my regression I don't think that this model is suitable (the
regressors are characteristics of houses such as size, number of rooms,
etc).

Thanks a lot for your time.
Best
Javi