[R-sig-Geo] average bearing of animal movement data

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Thu Aug 3 17:22:58 CEST 2017

An alternative solution would be to use adehabitatLT to prepare your
trajectories. If you set them to start at the colony (i.e. the first
location is at the colony), then you have nothing to do:

- ltraj objects provide the squared net displacement (R2n), which you can
use to find the furthest point from the colony (max R2n);

- ltraj objects provide absolute and relative bearings for each point, and
you already have the coordinates associated to it.

Hope this helps,
Mathieu.

On 08/02/2017 02:25 PM, Alice Domalik wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have seabird tracking data and I have used both the packages 'trip' and 'move' to calculate the max distance travelled (using the function 'homedist' in 'trip', and 'distanceSummary' in 'move').
> I would also like to describe the bearing of each animal when it is at its maximum displacement from the colony. I am wondering if anyone knows any packages that can calculate this. Alternatively, if someone knows how I can extract the coordinates of the location of maximum displacement.
>
> thanks so much!
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Mathieu Basille

basille at ufl.edu | http://ase-research.org/basille
+1 954-577-6314 | University of Florida FLREC

  « Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
  Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  — Paul Éluard