[R-sig-Geo] Global potential natural vegetation at 1km?

Tomislav Hengl tom.hengl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:28:05 CEST 2016

Dear R-sig-geo,

I have been looking for an existing map of global PNV (potential natural
vegetation) that we could maybe use global soil / biomass modelling. So
far, I noticed only two data sources that could provide compatible data:

1. Levavasseur et al. 2012
(http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/7/4/044019) uses
http://www.bridge.bris.ac.uk/resources/Databases/BIOMES_data data set
for model training,

2. Tian et al. 2015
(http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v531/n7593/full/nature16946.html)

However, both maps seem to refer to very coarse resolutions 10-50 km and
I would prefer to use 1 km resolution data (not to mention that the
legends are a mixture of general vegetation groups / vegetation-climate
groups). For USA, much more detailed natural vegetation map is available
(https://databasin.org/datasets/1c7a301c8e6843f2b4fe63fdb3a9fe39), but I
guess nothing comparable is available for the whole world? Are you maybe
aware of any such global maps representing e.g. plant communities
(https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Plant_community)?

I might just try myself to derive global potential vegetation (plant
communities) using e.g. GBIF data or the BIOME 6000 data and
environmental covariates at 1 km. At least the training data seems to be
available for modeling.

If you are aware of any similar project / initiative / data set please
let me know.

--
T. (Tom) Hengl
Researcher @ ISRIC - World Soil Information