[R-sig-Geo] dotsInPolys sometimes not generating correct number of points

Nick Eubank nickeubank at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 18:01:19 CEST 2016

Hi Roger,

Thanks for explaining. This isn't for maps -- it's for statistical analyses.
 My interest is in converting my polygons to points so I can do some
point-statistic calculations on the distribution of people (the points I'm
adding in each polygon). I have a lot of small polygons (with large
variation in the number of points in each), so I think the point pattern
will be relatively well preserved (at least on scales I care about) if I
uniformly distribute points within each polygon.  Thus the magnitudes of
points that don't make sense for visualization.

Is there a magnitude of points where the function would perform reasonably?
i.e. is this an integer overflow problem or something where, if I stay
below a given number of points I can count on a set number of truly
randomly distributed points? Or do I need a different tool?

Relatedly, might I suggested that this is something that should be made
more clear in the documentation of the function? Right now, there's nothing
in the docs suggesting this only appropriate for visualization, or that it
only *approximately* creates a set of randomly distributed points, and
can't handle large N.

Thanks again,

Nick