[R-sig-Geo] readOGR() in rgdal and 64-bit integers

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 27 20:01:46 CEST 2016

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Roger Bivand wrote:

> The current default assumes that users actually use ogrInfo() to examine
> their data before reading it. Is this overly optimistic? Would it be
> better to change the default to "no.loss" or "warn.loss"? A doodle is
> here: http://doodle.com/poll/9qaqrkbs6q7k5skz - I'd be grateful for
> feedback.

Roger,

   Given human nature I think that default assumption is incorrect. While
'warn.loss' seems to be a resonable replacement it assumes that users all
know what to do about the loss of data. I voted for 'no.loss' as
accommodating everyone without assumptions about reading or adjusting.

Regards,

Rich