[R-sig-Geo] vulnerability mapping

Tina Cormier tcorms at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 14:59:18 CEST 2016

Hi Juta,

It seems to me that what you have are potential predictors of riots. I
think you'll also need some riot location data - that is, if you are trying
to model vulnerability (as Jacek said) to identify important variables. If
you are just trying to create a map that shows potential areas (without
modeling - as in, you already KNOW that these are good predictors), then I
would probably do something simple, like create a ranking system for
socioeconomic status and distance from malls - add them together to ID hot
spots. Without knowing your goal, it's probably not worth going into too
much detail on those methods, but I would start by interpolating a raster
that shows distance to malls (ranked), and combine with census rankings. It
seems to me these two predictors alone are not sufficient, but if that's
what you're going with, this would be my simple approach.

Good luck!
Tina