[R-sig-Geo] Generating Random Planar Graph with 1m Edges

chris english englishchristophera at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:18:43 CEST 2016

For Completeness:

This was what I suggested to Kimon-Vincent, offline, as I felt quite
uncertain as to my input.

Kimon-Vincent,

I write off list because perhaps my suggestion is just too stupid and I
don't want to further solidify my reputation for 'stupid' suggestions. But
it seems to me, taking Roger's RANN suggestion in mind, that the test for
E, be taken, not just at the end, as in the ABCDE approach the paper
suggests, but upon selection of each C, prior to adding to a list of
successful (non-intersecting) edges using (rgeos) gIntersection upon a
candidate back against an existing list, prior to appending to said list.
Should it fail, next C. I need to give some more thought to what is meant
by D (though it seems to suggest a limit of neighbors, I'd have to read the
paper),do D, and finally E again as non-intersecting confirmatory.

And look back at your repeat{, (which I find quite interesting anyway) and
figure out how to vectorize using some apply family as this should greatly
reduce computation time. Flow control is useful, but teasing apart the
exact vector steps and the order you want them applied, while puzzling,
should remove your computation time bottlenecks. I'm not expert enough at
this time to advise.

Sorry if all of this seems silly.