[R-sig-Geo] package sp, extract values points-lines

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Nov 24 15:12:34 CET 2016

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016, rolandh at uni-muenster.de wrote:

> Hi Marta,
>
> by ?sp::over you will see that SpatialLines are not supported.
>
> Moreover it says:
> "over methods that involve SpatialLines objects, or pairs of SpatialPolygons require package rgeos, and use gIntersects."
>
> So, try gIntersects ...

Right, and note that the precision model will bite painfully (the points
may appear to be on the lines, but given the precision model may not
actually intersect in the default representation (think one thousandth of
a millimetre). You may need to buffer either points or lines to get the
intersections you expect.

Roger