[R-sig-Geo] v.split.length (GRASS) in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Nov 24 15:09:18 CET 2016

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016, Manuel Spínola wrote:

> Thank you very much Roger.
>
> Sorry about that, I took the name from the Processing toolbox in QGIS and I
> assumed (wrongly)  that was the name in GRASS.
>
> I want to split a vector line (route) in equal contiguous segments of 500 m.

So for a Line object of 5km, you'd want 10 separate contiguous Line
objects each of 500m in a Lines object? This would be the inverse
operation to rgeos::gLineMerge(). sp::spsample can give n regular points
on lines, but they are not a given distance apart (fixed distance, but n
is given, n total points on the object. The code in spsample methods could
give guidance. There are many edge cases, unfortunately, especially for
typical input objects, which may not be clean. GRASS may be the best way
of doing this, because it has a topological vector model, and will clean
the lines on input.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no