[R-sig-Geo] GLOBE DEM in R?

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 01:02:07 CET 2016

The only available global DEM in an R package that I know is geomapdata
which has Etopo5 (or equivalent) in it.

Otherwise there is marmap with getNOAA.bathy() function, and I would look
at xtractomatic as well for access to online services.

I tend to keep Etopo1, Etopo2, GEBCO14, and a bunch of other non-global
ones in local files since we use them intensively, and happy to help if you
need guidance with any of those.

There is IBCSO in polar form the southern hemisphere, but not sure if
there's an equivalent for the north?

Generally I go for the NetCDF version (either .nc or .grd) now that ncdf4
is fully supported by CRAN, otherwise use GeoTIFF if they provide it.
Sometimes need some augmentation when reading with raster() to make sure
things are interpreted fully/perfectly, but mostly it's pretty good.

If there are other sources I'm keen to hear as well.

Cheers, Mike.