[R-sig-Geo] look for advice on handling 3D/4D trajectories in R

Pedro C. Alvarez pedroc at eio.uva.es
Fri Nov 4 18:09:29 CET 2016

Hi all,

I am interested in handling 3D (lat, long, altitude) or even 4D (3D+time)
aircraft trajectories in R. I am new to GIS (although not to R), then, I have
been searching through r-project, R-sig-geo, the web ... and I've found and
concluded that sp classes and some avalaible packages like trip, trajectories,
... do not cover the kind of methods and operations that are avalaible for 2D
trajectories through sp or rgeos (for example, intersections, distance, gArea,
gBuffer, ...).

My question is: I am right with the above conclusion?

I have seen too that PostGIS has methods to deal with 3D (XYZ) or 4D (XYZM)
records. Is it the only (opensource) option?

Any advice to start using the appropiate tools will be welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Pedro.

        Pedro César Alvarez Esteban
        Dpto. de Estadística e Investigación Operativa
        Facultad de Ciencias
        Universidad de Valladolid
        Paseo de Belén, 7
        47011 Valladolid (SPAIN)