[R-sig-Geo] Extract raster values from polygon overlaying - efficient alternative

Besnard, Simon simon.besnard at wur.nl
Fri Nov 4 13:50:32 CET 2016

Hi all,

I am currently extracting raster values using polygon overlaying. The raster file is a global product with a 30m resolution.
In order to implement this task in a efficient way, I am looking at different options. I can imagine that the extract function from the raster package is an option but not very efficient. One could also work with spatial database.
Therefore, I was wondering if any of you have an idea on how different approaches performed compare to each other to perform such task. e.g. raster::extract Vs. postgis using rpostgis Vs. other more lightweight alternative, such as spatialite.

Thanks for your insights.

Simon.