[R-sig-Geo] Bearing angle of UTM projected SpatialLines

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed May 25 09:32:29 CEST 2016

On Wed, 25 May 2016, Eduardo Diez wrote:

> Dear everyone,
> I'm used to calculating the compass angles (clockwise from due North) of
> line features projected in UTM using the tool Linear Directional Mean
> <http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisengine/java/gp_toolref/spatial_statistics_tools/how_linear_directional_mean_spatial_statistics_works.htm>
> from ArcGIS.
> I could find functions for performing a similar task but taking Origin ->
> Destination points and only in Lat/Lon (geographic coordinates) namely:
> geosphere::bearing and maptools::gzAzimuth. (Somehow they give different
> results for the same set of points: around 0.05 degrees, maybe because of
> the trigonometry)
> Because of the nature of my work it has to be in UTM.

Interesting question. Could you please provide a test set of pairs of
coordinates with the fully qualified UTM projection (which datum in
particular, and if WGS84, which version - there are several), the output
from ArcGIS (which version), and the geographical coordinates you see in
ArcGIS (to remove the possibility that it is a projection issue on the R
side). They don't need to mean anything, only that they can show us what
the problem is in code and numeric terms. A link to an R file and an RDS
file would be helpful.

Roger