[R-sig-Geo] Run focal function on a multi-layer raster

Thiago V. dos Santos thi_veloso at yahoo.com.br
Sun May 22 00:24:26 CEST 2016

Hi Loïc,

Thanks for the hint - it worked like a charm!
 Greetings,
 -- Thiago V. dos Santos

PhD student
Land and Atmospheric Science
University of Minnesota

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 3:54 PM, Loïc Dutrieux <loic.dutrieux at wur.nl> wrote:
Hi Thiago,

calc is not aware of neighbouring pixels in the x,y dimensions, so
functions like focal cannot work.

I found the function below in an old repos of mine. It still seems to
work fine :)

#' Focal for RasterBrick or RasterStack
#'
#' @param x RasterBrick/Stack or character pointing to multilayer raster
object written on disk
#' @param w See \code{\link{focal}}
#' @param ... Arguments to be passed to \code{\link{focal}}
#'
#' @import raster
#' @export
#'

multiFocal <- function(x, w=matrix(1, nr=3, nc=3), ...) {

   if(is.character(x)) {
     x <- brick(x)
   }
   # The function to be applied to each individual layer
   fun <- function(ind, x, w, ...){
     focal(x[[ind]], w=w, ...)
   }

   n <- seq(nlayers(x))
   list <- lapply(X=n, FUN=fun, x=x, w=w, ...)

   out <- stack(list)
   return(out)
}

On 05/21/2016 10:02 PM, Thiago V. dos Santos via R-sig-Geo wrote:
> I have a multi-layer raster, in this case a rasterbrick, on which I would like to apply a focal function on each layer, and get another rasterbrick as a result.
>
> I am trying to use calc, but apparently I am not assembling my function in the proper way:
>
> require(raster)
> r <- raster(ncol=50, nrow=50)
> r[]=1:ncell(r)
> b <- brick(r,r,r,r,r,r)