[R-sig-Geo] experimental covariogram

Nick Perpinias nickperpin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:52:30 CEST 2016

Dear Edzer,

Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

Well, my thinking (and please forgive me if it is wrong) is that there is
no free lunch. What I mean is that covariogram needs a second order
stationarity, but semivariogram allows for a trend, i.e. the field has to
fulfill intrinsic stationarity. That makes semivariogram more general. So
what do you have to "pay" for this generality, especially in cases where
there is no trend in the field but still one uses the semivariogram. I
would intuitively expect that there is something to lose.

Moreover a follow up question is: is there a fitting function for
covariogram?

Thank you again for your help.

Best,

Nikos