[R-sig-Geo] RQGIS - integrating R with QGIS

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Sun Jun 19 11:29:30 CEST 2016

"Jannes Münchow" <malNamalJa at gmx.de> writes:

> Dear R-GIS users,
>
> I would like to draw your attention to a new package integrating R
> with QGIS. QGIS is probably the most widely used open-source Desktop
> GIS. Apart from its native functions QGIS provides access to the
> geoalgorithms of various third-party providers (among others SAGA and
> GRASS). In total this gives the user access to more than 1000
> geoalgorithms. RQGIS brings this incredible powerful geoprocessing
> environment to the R console. We would like to publish RQGIS on CRAN
> within the next six weeks. Until then we would appreciate any user
> feedback. On github (https://github.com/jannes-m/RQGIS) you'll find a
> short tour how to use and install the developer version of RQGIS and
> in this post
> (https://jannesm.wordpress.com/2016/06/03/integrating-r-with-qgis/) I
> briefly describe the most notable features of RQGIS. I am looking
> forward to hearing from first user experiences!

Hi

This looks really nice. Thanks.

Just tried the examples on https://github.com/jannes-m/RQGIS on OS X El
Capitan with QGIS 2-8 installed using homebrew ant they worked after
specifying the path to root. But there is an error in the RQGIS usage
site:

It states:

,----
| If you are running RQGIS under Linux or on a Mac, set_env assumes that
| your root path is "/usr" and "/applications/QGIS.app/Contents",
| respectively.
`----

1) The path should be changed to "Applications" instead of
"applications" as the capital A is used in OS X. It normally does not
make a difference, but does not follow conventions.

2) The path (specified in root=...) most not contain "/Contents" but
only the path to the .app folder.

In general, it would be nice if a cal to set_env() could have some
logic to also identify homebrew installesd versions of QGIS.

Thanks,

Rainer