[R-sig-Geo] a spatial data set recommendation, please

Tomislav Hengl tom.hengl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 09:02:33 CEST 2016

Hi Erin,

I think you are looking for a point data set that is available under
some public access license? For which area: global? regional/national?
local?

One data set I like to use for geostatistical mapping is the National
Geochemical Survey database (http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/) because it
is very consistent, multivariate and well documented. Another large
point data set under public access is the NCSS Soil Characterization
Database (http://ncsslabdatamart.sc.egov.usda.gov/), but these are only
USA-available of course.

For global data sets, I would look at for example at the daily meteo
data from Global Historical Climatology Network
(https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/land-based-station-data/land-based-datasets/global-historical-climatology-network-ghcn),
which I think is partially available via the meteo package
(http://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/meteo/versions/0.1-5).

Does it has to be inside a package? I've put in my GSIF package small
sample of the geochemical DB:
http://gsif.r-forge.r-project.org/geochm.html but it contains 'only'
2681 points :(

HTH