[R-sig-Geo] Geographically weighted regression on categorical variable

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 12:50:30 CEST 2016

I don't think the point pattern analysis will help you at all - your
sampling locations aren't a point pattern (although they form a
pattern of points) - their location has been decided by whoever
decided where to take the samples. Point pattern analysis is
appropriate where you are interested in the process that produced the
pattern of points.

If you had continuous data the answer might be obvious - kriging with
distance-to-source as a regression covariate, and then your answer as
to whether your continuous variable was related to the distance would
be inferred from the regression parameter and its standard error, as
per any GLM. I think there's an example like this for gstat where the
usual meuse data set is used to model Zinc with distance-to-river as a
covariate.

Your complication is that your categorical variable makes it a
*multinomial* regression problem. If this wasn't a spatial problem,
and your data were independent samples in some sort of designed
experiment, then standard multinomial regression techniques can be
applied and out pop estimates and standard errors of the regression
coefficients of your distance-to-source covariate. You could, as an
initial experiment, treat your data like this and see what happens.

But you have spatial data, and hence spatially correlated
observations, so you can't just throw it into a standard multinomial
and believe the inference. You would seem to want some sort of
multinomial regression kriging approach, but I can't find anything
appropriate. Discussions over coffee with colleagues just now
dissolved into all sorts of stuff I don't understand, but maybe we'll
come up with something after a few more coffees.

Barry