[R-sig-Geo] Announcing the R Shapefile Contest

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 00:34:29 CEST 2016

I am sympathetic here, there is just no good general word for these "vector
layers". Manifold calls them drawings, which I prefer but that doesn't work
for layers that can only store one type of topology (points, lines or
areas/'polygons'). Not sure what MapInfo and other mixed-topology systems
use but probably worth finding out.

If there is a decent nomenclature I'd like to see it. "Shapefile" is sadly
a word that works beyond the legacy ESRI Shapefile format.

Cheers, Mike