[R-sig-Geo] how to label points on a google map?

Chris Lusk clusk at waikato.ac.nz
Sun Jul 3 08:56:43 CEST 2016

Hi - I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I can superimpose numbers
over the coloured symbols I've plotted on a google map using the code
below. The numbers I want to use as labels are in the 1st column of the
table. I've seen a couple of solutions online, but neither has worked for
me.

library(ggplot2)
library(ggmap)

Rangitikei <- read.table(text="number lon lat
11  175.74 -39.55
10  175.72 -39.65
9  175.97 -39.7
8  175.78 -39.81
7  175.67 -39.84
6  175.894 -39.84
5  175.96 -39.85
4  175.60 -39.90
3  175.37 -39.905
2  175.53 -39.96
1  175.60 -39.99", header = TRUE, strip.white = TRUE)

# Get the map
RangitikeiMap <- get_googlemap(center = c(lon = 175.736, lat = -39.8),
maptype='roadmap', zoom=10)

# Plot the points on the map
ggmap(RangitikeiMap) +
  geom_point(data=Rangitikei, aes(x=lon, y=lat), colour="gold2", size=6,
alpha=.7)

Dr. Chris Lusk
Senior Research Fellow
Environmental Research Institute