[R-sig-Geo] geocoding street addresses within R, not using any web-based services

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Thu Jan 21 16:18:24 CET 2016

Hello. I'm a longtime R and R-help user, and recent listener on
R-sig-geo. First post here. I use R on both Win 7 and Linux Mint.

Is there a way to geocode street addresses in the US within R on my
local machine, that is, without transmitting the addresses to any
web-based service?  I have about 26,000 street addresses for a certain
type of ambulance call. I'd prefer (so does my Institutional Review
Board) that the addresses remain with me.

So far I have been using ArcGIS to geocode them on my own machine, and
then export the resulting shapefiles of point patterns to R, for
analysis with spatstat. But I'd rather to it all within R if possible.
(I get frustrated with menu-driven ArcGIS.)

My data are street addresses, not lon/lat coordinates. I have street
segment databases for the relevant counties from the US Census Bureau
TIGER shapefiles.

Thanks for any help.

--Chris Ryan
Broome County Health Department and