[R-sig-Geo] Opening non-spatial layer/feature class in gdb

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 05:42:26 CET 2016

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 at 05:18 Worrall, James -FS <jworrall at fs.fed.us> wrote:

> [image: image001.gif]
>
> I’ve been playing with getting info on and opening geodatabases.  I was
> pleasantly surprised to find that rgdal could examine and open layers from
> them.  But I wonder if it can open non-spatial objects in them?  Or if
> there is any other R way to do that?
>

> I have a geodatabase that looks like this:
>

> > ogrListLayers( "D:USvegNRIS.gdb" )
>
> [1] "NRIS_VegCharacterizations" "NRIS_VegDisturbances"
> "NRIS_VegGisCalcs"          "NRIS_VegPolyLinks"
>
> [5] "NRIS_VegSubpopulations"    "NRIS_VegPointLinks"
>    "NRIS_VegLocations"         "NRIS_VegPoint"
>
> [9] "NRIS_VegPoly"
>
> attr(,"driver")
>
> [1] "OpenFileGDB"
>
> attr(,"nlayers")
>
> [1] 9
>
> I can open NRIS_VegPoly as a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame with readOGR() (at
> least I can in another gdb with a similar layer, but this one is too
> enormous and R crashes).
>

> But I am also interested in NRIS_VegSubpopulation.  This is simply a
> table, with multiple rows per polygon, with IDs linking them to polygons,
> but no spatial data.  Trying to open it doesn’t work:
>

> Error in readOGR(dsn = "USVEGNRIS.gdb", layer = "NRIS_VegSubpopulations")
> :
>
>   no features found
>
> In addition: Warning message:
>
>   In ogrInfo(dsn = dsn, layer = layer, encoding = encoding, use_iconv =
> use_iconv,  :
>
>                ogrInfo: all features NULL
>

> Can you think of a way to get at such data within R?

I don't think this is possible in R with readOGR. Pretty sure you can use
the GDAL command line tools to do  it though.  I would try something like

ogr2ogr -f CSV output.csv USVEGNRIS.gdb NRIS_VegSubpopulations

There are better output formats obviously, but what works best will depend.

gdalUtils can be used to drive the command line tools.

Cheers, Mike.