[R-sig-Geo] Ordinary kriging variance of the prediction with error structure

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Fri Feb 5 12:10:52 CET 2016

Manuel,

gstat does kriging (exact interpolatoin) when specifying a nugget
variance, and smoothing when defining this nugget as an Err (measurement
error) term instead:

library(sp)
library(gstat)
demo(meuse, ask = FALSE, echo = FALSE)
krige(log(zinc)~1, meuse, meuse[1,],vgm(.6, "Sph", 900, .05))
krige(log(zinc)~1, meuse, meuse[1,],vgm(.6, "Sph", 900, Err = .05))

# From:

krige(log(zinc)~1, meuse[1:5,], meuse[1,],
   vgm(.6, "Sph", 900, .05), set = list(debug = 32))
krige(log(zinc)~1, meuse[1:5,], meuse[1,],
   vgm(.6, "Sph", 900, Err = .05), set = list(debug = 32))

You'll see that the difference is in the right-hand-side, the covariance
between observations and prediction location (C0).

Hth,