[R-sig-Geo] Floods' Prediction Approach

Andres Diaz madiazl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:07:02 CET 2016

Dear Jefferson,

The flood prone area delimitation is a science which usually involve the
hydrology + hydraulic study (in rivers) and tidal + hydrodynamics
 simulation (in coastal zones). Your approximation is pretty interesting
and I will be glad to see some results from your analysis (because it seems
is a simple approach).

Nevertheless, other approach exist to simplifying the flood maps
delimitation through topographic indexes. Attached you will find some
references in which the flood prone area delimitation is done ONLY using a
DEM (Digital Elevation Model), and in that way you can avoid to make the
complete studies for obtain the maps.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280308186_Samela_C_Manfreda_S_Paola_F_Giugni_M_Sole_A_and_Fiorentino_M_2015_DEM-Based_Approaches_for_the_Delineation_of_Flood-Prone_Areas_in_an_Ungauged_Basin_in_Africa_J_Hydrol_Eng_101061ASCEHE1943-55840001272_06015010

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279243744_Flood-prone_areas_assessment_using_linear_binary_classifiers_based_on_flood_maps_obtained_from_1D_and_2D_hydraulic_models
<http://www.gits.ws/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.researchgate.net/publication/279243744_Flood-prone_areas_assessment_using_linear_binary_classifiers_based_on_flood_maps_obtained_from_1D_and_2D_hydraulic_models>

If you want to comment the topic, or have problems with the algorithms
implementation, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,

Andrés Díaz
Postdoctoral Researcher
Institute for Environmental Studies - IVM
VU University Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1085 (visiting address)
De Boelelaan 1087 (postal address)
1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands