[R-sig-Geo] Specifying Schema for PostGIS Layer with Simple Features

Michael Treglia mtreglia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 21:02:48 CET 2016

Hi All,

Getting going with Simple Features - awesome job Developers, and thanks for
your time!

Quick question - I'm working on bringing in PostGIS layers to work with in
R - I've got the db connection made using the RPostgreSQL connection and
have successfully imported data from the public schema. However, I'm not
figuring out how to bring in layers from other schema. Sorry if I'm just
missing something obvious.

I've tried a few different iterations, as detailed below, for table 'ipis'
in schema 'staging'

Try 1: specify table without naming schema
> test <- st_read_db(conn, 'ipis')
Error in postgresqlExecStatement(conn, statement, ...) :
  RS-DBI driver: (could not Retrieve the result : ERROR:  relation "ipis"
does not exist
LINE 1: select * from  ipis ;
                       ^
)
Error in .subset2(x, i, exact = exact) : subscript out of bounds

Try 2: specify schema with table as i would in postgres directly
> test <- st_read_db(conn, 'staging.ipis')
Error in .subset2(x, i, exact = exact) : subscript out of bounds

Try 3: Specify schema as I would with RPostgreSQL operations (e.g.,
dbExistsTable)
> test <- st_read_db(conn, c('staging','ipis') )
Error in postgresqlExecStatement(conn, statement, ...) :
  RS-DBI driver: (could not Retrieve the result : ERROR:  relation
"staging" does not exist
LINE 1: select * from  staging ;
                       ^
)
Error in .subset2(x, i, exact = exact) : subscript out of bounds

I've verified R can see the table using:
> dbExistsTable(conn, c('staging','ipis'))
[1] TRUE

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Best,
Mike T

PS - I was originally trying to use rgdal to read these layers in, but
found rgdal did not have the PostgreSQL/PostGIS driver with it on Windows -
if that's a simple fix too, I'm all ears.