[R-sig-Geo] "Islands" in spatial (area) analysis

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Aug 22 08:20:05 CEST 2016

Wolfgang,

I think that you were more interested in the consequences of missing
neighbours for the analysis of areal data. I did look at this 15 years
ago with Boris Portnov, in the context of ESDA:

@incollection{bivand+portnov:04,
   author = {R. S. Bivand and B. A. Portnov},
   editor = {L. Anselin and R. J. G. M. Florax and S. J. Rey},
   title = {Exploring spatial data analysis techniques using {\RR}: the
case of observations with no neighbours},
   booktitle = {Advances in Spatial Econometrics: Methodology, Tools,
Applications},
   year = {2004},
   publisher = {Springer},
   address = {Berlin},
   pages = {121--142}
}

There are oddities in the Moran scatterplot, and also in mapping the
graph-based neighbour representation into matrix form, say with the
spatial lag of a no-neighbour observation's value being zero (for
zero.policy=TRUE). That paper was the basis for the zero.policy=
framework. There are other consequences that you've found with respect to
the number of subgraphs, which may or may not break formal assumptions of
analysis methods. In addition, we don't know how far the broken
assumptions actually matter. This would probably be a good candidate for
proper study including simulation.

Best wishes,

Roger