[R-sig-Geo] no proj_defs.dat file in PROJ.4 files message when using rgdal

Wall, Wade A ERDC-RDE-CERL-IL CIV Wade.A.Wall at erdc.dren.mil
Fri Aug 12 17:02:52 CEST 2016

Thanks. PROJ_LIB now provides the link and when I load rgdal, the path to the PROJ.4 shared files is recognized. However, I still receive the warning: No proj_defs.dat in PROJ.4 shared files.

I edited my .bashrc  with PROJ_LIB=/p/bin/proj4/share/proj. This folder contains proj_defs.dat, as well as a duplicate file called proj_def.dat because I have seen the file named both ways.

I also changed PROJ_LIB to /p/bin/proj4/share and copied proj_defs.dat to that location. Still not sure how to get rgdal to recognize the prof_defs.dat file