[R-sig-Geo] Extending sp's SpatialPoints with altitude information

chris english englishchristophera at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 23:04:34 CEST 2016

Mike,

Reading this discussion lead me to finally visiting your github and reading
gris read.md. And of course installing it. I understand mostly where you
are going in the Needs section and were I to recommend a new, fast friend,
it would be Sandro Santilli, strk at keybit.net (http://strk.keybit.net), who
agonized over (I presume) and implemented topology in PostGIS. While this
is not R, the decisions and rigor are informative. Perhaps you are fast
friends already.

I really appreciate allowing mixed objects in gris that seems informed by
spatstat rather more than sp and friends where one feels shackled to a
given representation of line or point or polygon & etc..  In an analysis of
eyetracking data which was initially informed by a mapping perspective (sp,
trajectories, trips), I have essentially had to rewrite sp to to dispense
with sp and many constraints imposed. Those constraints were theoretically
valid but constraining none the less when trying to implement some system
of proposed algorithms that took no heed of sp's object constraints.

When the eyetracking thing is finally put to bed and I get an rgl
compatible laptop that is not my wife's laptop (as things currently stand),
and when I'm a tad better at r, I'd be happy to help with the evolution of
this 3d.

Chris