[R-sig-Geo] Faster way to extract raster values using multiple polygons?

Ben Tupper btupper at bigelow.org
Wed Apr 6 17:48:47 CEST 2016

Hi,

The resolution of your raster data (1 degree) is much more coarse than what your polygons represent.  Could you short-circuit the process by assuming that the temp at the centroid of each polygon would suitably represent the mean temperature across each polygon?  Unless you have some much bigger polygons, I can't imagine it will be very far off. If so, then you could pretty quickly extract the values for each layer in the raster at each centroid.  Perhaps like this?

cents <- coordinates(br_sub)
v <- extract(b, cents)

Is that close enough?

Cheers,