[R-sig-Geo] New package > RStoolbox: Remote Sensing Data Analysis in R

Tim Appelhans tim.appelhans at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 19:11:16 CEST 2015

Benjamin,
I think we should put our heads together at some stage as we have
already something very similar on CRAN (released in July)

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/satellite/index.html

The satellite package provides standard class(es) and methods for
handling satellite data. We deliberately avoided adding any
functionality that goes beyond basic image preparation (i.e.
classification or prediction capabilities). The idea is to provide a
standard package for remote sensing data handling (satellite) on top of
which other packages can be built to provide further functionality (such
as the numerous classification algorithms in RStoolbox). Think of it as
the 'sp' package for satellite remote sensing data analysis.

To get a better idea of how satellite is designed please have a look at
the following vignette (which is not quite finished but does provide an
overview of how the 'satellite' class is defined).

https://github.com/environmentalinformatics-marburg/satellite/blob/develop/vignettes/satellite.Rmd

I would appreciate your thoughts (maybe off-list) on how to best arrange
our efforts in order to avoid duplication and confusion for other users.

Best
Tim

--
Tim Appelhans