[R-sig-Geo] Plot street "Name" for city streets (lines) in a SpatialLinesDataFrame

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Sep 9 18:21:41 CEST 2015

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015, Jim Burke wrote:

> Given a SpatialLinesDataFrame like below. How might I print the street
> "Name" adjacent to these many streets in the SpatialLinesDataFrame? Just
> what in the line class can I attach its "Name" to? I want to add this plot
> as a layer to my other plots.

Please no HTML mail. It is (much) bulkier, and can contain payloads, so
all the R lists strip HTML copies/markup, often leading to garbled
content.

Please provide a reproducible example, possibly with a small subset of OSM
data or similar (by URL). Guessing from the structure below with 125K
Lines objects would be hard, start small and scale up from there. Find a
representative point, possibly a midpoint, for each "street" - probably
Lines object - find its angle, and try to offset and rotate the inserted
text.

In regular cartography, the placement of labels is generally considered
hard. There are functions in the maptools package for label placement for
point support to avoid overlapping, but these do not accommodate rotation.

Since you didn't say why you need this, it is hard to provide sensible
advice. An affiliation would give an indication of the motivation.

Roger