[R-sig-Geo] Dispersion term u in errorsarlm in spdep

Thomas Vladeck thomas.vladeck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 22:53:08 CEST 2015

Roger,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. (And apologies for my lack of
experience in the field!)

On this:

This would be a spatially structured random effect, as distinct from an
> unstructured random effect in this context. See LeSage & Pace (2009) for
> more details.

Would the Besag-York-Mollié model be a more appropriate option? I have been
through the documentation on CARBayes [1], The LeSage & Pace book you
recommended, and as much other material as I could ingest & understand, and
this seems appropriate - but I'm not sure!

Here:

PS. Your comment about data size shows that you have not examined the
> method= argument to errorsarlm() - method="Matrix" will work for large
> sparse symmetric spatial neighbour graphs. However, your "distance.matrix"
> object may not be sparse - just full of lots of very small values which
> could without loss be set to zero.

It was the latter option that I hadn't realized was possible. Thanks so
much for the recommendation!

Tom

[1]
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/CARBayes/vignettes/CARBayesvignette.pdf