[R-sig-Geo] Faster way to get raster average?

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Wed May 6 07:22:29 CEST 2015

Sometimes it can be best to use the NetCDF tools more directly, you can
approach the speed of the already in memory case by slurping in the array
and reshaping to a matrix (like Robert's example, but I think my row/col
specification is correct):

library(raster)
cmip <- brick(nc=150, nr=114, nl=1872)
cmip <- setValues(cmip, matrix(rep(1:17100, 1872), nc=1872))
writeRaster(cmip, "example.nc")

 ## in memory from our example
 system.time(r1 <- cellStats(cmip, mean, na.rm = TRUE))
#   user  system elapsed
#   0.08    0.00    0.07
## from disk
 cmipdisk <- brick("example.nc")
 system.time(r2 <- cellStats(cmipdisk, mean, na.rm = TRUE))
#   user  system elapsed
#   4.89    0.34    5.24
## in memory, but from disk (so yes we are IO-bound)
system.time(r3 <- .colMeans(getValues(cmipdisk), nrow(cmipdisk) *
ncol(cmipdisk), nlayers(cmipdisk), na.rm=TRUE))
#   user  system elapsed
#   4.71    0.31    5.03

## avoid raster completely is faster, even with apply
system.time(r4 <- apply(get.var.ncdf(open.ncdf("example.nc"), "variable"),
3, mean, na.rm = TRUE))
#   user  system elapsed
#  2.56    0.19    2.75
#
## reshape to avoid apply (second fastest to already in memory)
system.time(r5 <- .colMeans(matrix(get.var.ncdf(open.ncdf("example.nc"),
"variable"), nrow = prod(dim(cmip)[1:2])), nrow(cmipdisk) *
 ncol(cmipdisk), nlayers(cmipdisk), na.rm=FALSE))
#   user  system elapsed
#   1.25    0.10    1.36
#
 max(abs(r1 - r2))
#[1] 0
max(abs(r2 - r3))
#[1] 0
max(abs(r3 - r4))
#[1] 0
max(abs(r4 - r5))
#[1] 0

You can replace ncdf with ncdf4 or RNetCDF with a slight change of
open/getvar functions.

Cheers, Mike.