[R-sig-Geo] Help with latlong to UTM conversion when UTM zones are different

Robert J. Hijmans r.hijmans at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 00:50:10 CET 2015

Are these really reasonable reasons? I do not think so, given that the
question had nothing to do with map navigation and the person asking
appears to live in the UK. Moreover, other projections have, or can
have, their units in meters as well (or feet or miles or whatever you
might fancy). UTM indeed appears to be an unfortunate default that
deserves some pushback.
Robert