[R-sig-Geo] inconsistent as.data.frame(SpatialPointsDF)

dschneiderch Dominik.Schneider at colorado.edu
Fri Mar 20 18:02:27 CET 2015

Edzer - Look like we posted at the same time.
In my example my coordinates are named, no?

I tried your example in my R environment and can replicate the behavior I
mentioned.

> df = data.frame(x=1:2, y=2:1, z = 3:4)
> df1 = df
> library(sp)
> coordinates(df1) = ~x+y
> as.data.frame(df1)
  x y z
1 1 2 3
2 2 1 4
> coordnames(df1)
[1] "x" "y"
> coordnames(df1)=c('long','lat')
> str(df1)
Formal class 'SpatialPointsDataFrame' [package "sp"] with 5 slots
  ..@ data       :'data.frame':	2 obs. of  1 variable:
  .. ..$ z: int [1:2] 3 4
  ..@ coords.nrs : int [1:2] 1 2
  ..@ coords     : num [1:2, 1:2] 1 2 2 1
  .. ..- attr(*, "dimnames")=List of 2
  .. .. ..$ : NULL
  .. .. ..$ : chr [1:2] "long" "lat"
  ..@ bbox       : num [1:2, 1:2] 1 1 2 2
  .. ..- attr(*, "dimnames")=List of 2
  .. .. ..$ : chr [1:2] "long" "lat"
  .. .. ..$ : chr [1:2] "min" "max"
  ..@ proj4string:Formal class 'CRS' [package "sp"] with 1 slot
  .. .. ..@ projargs: chr NA
> as.data.frame(df1)
  x y z
1 1 2 3
2 2 1 4

Interestingly, when I open a new R instance and without loading all the
packages associated with my project, the names are *not* converted.  So it
seems that one of the packages I have loaded is conflicting with sp and
causing the names to change...  my sessionInfo() was attached in the other
post.