[R-sig-Geo] variogram problem

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Wed Jun 24 16:08:05 CEST 2015

Thierry is right about that; without that we can only guess, which is
what I will do now.

fit.variogram does a non-linear fit using some steepest descent method,
and needs initial values for that. The initial values you provide are 1
(partial sill), 5 (range), and 1 (nugget). In case v does not provide
good information on how to improve these initial values, e.g. because 5
is smaller than the smallest distance in it, it can't figure out where
to go in order to improve. This means it got stuck, and gives this
warning. The plot

plot(v, vgm(1, "Sph", 5, 1))

will reveal the problem to you (and to us, if you'd share it).