[R-sig-Geo] how to determine which administrative area a point belong to

Victor Kuperman vickup at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jun 18 16:57:50 CEST 2015

I have a large number of data points with longitude and latitude coordinates
(e.g. 57.118, -2.167). I am interested in knowing which administrative areas
in the UK these points fall into. I have downloaded administrative areas for
the UK:

adm <- getData('GADM', country='GBR', level=2)

Now I cannot identify an R function that would associate a data point with
an administrative area.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Victor Kuperman, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Linguistics and Languages

McMaster University

Togo Salmon Hall 626

1280 Main Street West

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4M2