[R-sig-Geo] Pre-GDAL 2: rgdal changes - from all according to their means

chris english englishchristophera at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 21:28:12 CEST 2015

Roger,

I second Michael Sumner's excitement. I built a POSTGist SFCGAL stack based
on GDAL 2.0.0beta, anticipating that I could seamlessly integrate with R
 and was disappointed that I couldn't use  2.0.0.beta  because at the point
only sp-1.1-1 was supported.

I have a couple of future projects that are going to fundamentally depend
on GDAL and I hope to be able to address them from within R.  As an R
beginner I'm happy I have in my notes on how to point to my /opt/gdal(
please excuse if generalizing between an installed /opt/gdal(2.0,0.beta and
 /usr/local/gdal(earlier.build)  build, but many people perhaps have not
been making a diary of R success(es).

In the simplest case it could be a reminder to us beginners how we might
load a library(rgdal("in this case 2.0.0.beta vs our normal
library(rgdal)).  Well we are beginners, but we still want out stuff to
work and we want to contribute to a successful and comprehensive 2.2.0
release. So we'll run our particular research examples through 2.0.0 and
report results, if we know how to load one vs. another library.

If intermediate or expert, different examples would be deployed.

I apologize in advance if these issues  or methods have already been
addressed at SVN and I failed to notice them.  If that is the case I will
dig further, and please ignore me.

I think GDAL and rgdal are intrinsically important tools to this community
and everyone wants them to work; please just tell us, by general example,
how we might be best of service.

I hope the foregoing is comprehensible. My thoughts, and looking forward to
to contributing in a useful fashion to this important package (as a
beginner).

Cheers,

Chris

The second beta of GDAL 2 is now available, and as of revision 535 on