[R-sig-Geo] NetCDF: Unknown file format?

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 22:11:42 CEST 2015

Hello,

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 at 01:54 Ziyu Ma <paul.ziyu.ma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I just found out the "raster" package actually handles NetCDF4 very nicely:
> for example, NetCDF4 files can be converted to a raster simply by:
>
> raster("FileName.nc", varname="SingleVariableToExtractInTheNetCDF4File")

That is great - but raster (last time I looked) relies on ncdf or ncdf4
being available for this format.
Is this now on Linux rather than Windows?  Can you please include the
output of sessionInfo()? (which lists the R build and package versions)

FWIW, if you didn't have either ncdf or ncdf4 it would pass to the GDAL
logic (via rgdal) and you might get success (but not on the
Windows-CRAN-rgdal, which doesn't include NetCDF - another wrinkle in this
adventure).

Cheers, Mike.

I think it might be useful information to everybody so I repost it here.