[R-sig-Geo] mapView: basic interactive viewing of spatial data in R

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Fri Jul 24 14:26:44 CEST 2015

Hi Tim, thanks for starting the discussion.

I started a similar discussion (off-list, with package maintainers) for
the case where google map or openstreetmap maps are used as background
in map plots created in R, support for which is now scattered over
ggmap::get_map, RgoogleMaps::GetMap, dismo::gmap and
https://github.com/hadley/rastermap. (on r-forge, sp::plot and
sp::spplot can now deal with these, see sp::demo(webmap)).

The (un)projection mapView does is towards epsg:4326 (longlat WGS84),
leaflet assumes this and takes care of the projection to web mercator;
the message printed in mapView (if verbose = TRUE) and your tutorial do
the correct thing but suggest they convert to mercator.

Some remaining questions:
- package leaflet also supports plotting Spatial* and Raster* objects,
what is exactly added by mapView?
- have you thought about integrating this functionality into the leaflet
R package?
- could we strive towards argument compatibility, so that we can get
things done by simply changing "plot" or "spplot" into "leaflet"?

--
Edzer Pebesma
Institute for Geoinformatics (ifgi),  University of Münster,