[R-sig-Geo] mapView: basic interactive viewing of spatial data in R

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Jul 24 12:03:47 CEST 2015

Tim Appelhans <tim.appelhans at gmail.com> writes:

> Dear list members,
>
> I would like to draw your attention to a little 'project' I've been
> working on over the past few weeks.
>
> Using leaflet for R, I have defined some methods for spatial data (e.g.
> Raster*, Spatial* objects) to quickly visualise them in either the
> RStudio Viewer pan or the default web browser. The function I created
> for this is called mapView().
>
> Think of it as an interactive version of spplot()/plot() for spatial
> data (though less versatile). It enables zooming, paning and basic layer
> queries (i.e. printing of the attributes in the @data slot of Spatial*
> objects + the x/y location of the feature). For Raster* objects queries
> are currently not available as leaflet translates the data into RGB
> values for display. Furthermore, background maps can be defined and
> multiple different spatial object layers can be overlaid.
> At the moment mapView() lives in our Rsenal package on github
> (https://github.com/environmentalinformatics-marburg/Rsenal) but this is
> likely going to change at some point in the not too distant future. This
> also depends on whether there is active interest in developping this
> sort of thing further to provide more than the current admittedly rather
> limited functionality. This, however, would involve JavaScript coding
> which I do not have any experience with.
>
> A quick (non-interactive) intorduction can be found here:
>
> https://metvurst.wordpress.com/
>
> The full introductory article including interactive examples is
> published here:
>
> http://environmentalinformatics-marburg.github.io/web-presentations/20150723_mapView.html
>
> I hope this may prove useful for some of you.

This looks like something I was really missing! I was always exporting
my spatial data into GRASS and viewing it there - but this looks really
brilliant! This makes out of R a very powerful command line GIS.

I would really like to see this functionality in a separate R package on
CRAN - even with only its current functionality, it is very useful!

Thanks a lot and keep us posted,

Rainer

> Also, if anyone is keen to get involved in taking this further, please
> let me know and we will see how to best proceed.
>
> Best,
> Tim

Stellenbosch University
South Africa