[R-sig-Geo] rasterQuad 4d object

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:13:53 CET 2015

We have levels of increasing complexity:

First, the positioning
1. Location in 2D (x,y)
2. Location in surface 3D (x,y,z), but only 1 z for each x,y pair (the
common case in geography and remote sensing)
3. Location in full 3D (x,y,z), with a vector of z for each (x,y) pair
(the common case in geology, oceanography, some biomedical imaging)

Then the measured variable at each location.
U. Univariate (i.e., veetation index)
M. Multivariate (i.e. reflectance along wavelength)

And finally the time
S. Single observation
R. Repeated observations

Obviously package raster cannot deal with all combinations, the
developers made their options.

For sure raster deals well with
1US
1UR
1MS

The specific case of the 2U of a DEM is dealt with as a 1US

The problem is the rest. In the specific case I have mentioned, I would need
3US

I think Pascal refers to
2UR or 3UR

A lot more complicated...