[R-sig-Geo] Map of pixel area?

Forrest Stevens forrest at ufl.edu
Sat Jan 10 00:15:10 CET 2015

Oops, sorry for the mistake when copying my code in.  Please find the
working code for the areas here:

r1 <- raster()
r1[] <- 1:ncell(r1)
p1 <- rasterToPolygons(r1)

## Project to cylindrical equal area:
require(rgdal)
p2 <- spTransform(p1, CRS("+proj=cea +lat_0=0 +lon_0=0 +lat_ts=30
+a=6371228.0 +units=m"))

## Extract areas and assign back to raster:
areas <- sapply(slot(p2, "polygons"), slot, "area")
r2 <- r1
r2[] <- areas
plot(r2)

Sorry for the confusion!