[R-sig-Geo] Create listw or nb object from binary edge matrix

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Feb 28 22:07:45 CET 2015

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015, jcoyle wrote:

> I am trying to create an nb or listw object for use with spdep functions from
> a binary matrix with 1 indicating that two 'regions' are neighbors. However,
> the following code does not produce a neighbors list as I think it should
> after reading  this previous post
> <https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2009-February/005070.html>  :mat =
> matrix(0, 4, 4)mat[1,2] = 1mat[2,1] = 1mat[3,4] = 1mat[4,3] = 1lw =
> mat2listw(mat)lw$neighborsWhat am I doing wrong?Thanks!Jes

I suppose you meant:

library(spdep)
mat = matrix(0, 4, 4)
mat[1,2] = 1
mat[2,1] = 1
mat[3,4] = 1
mat[4,3] = 1
   mat
lw = mat2listw(mat)
lw$neighbors

but

lw$neighbours

is OK, as:

all.equal(nb2mat(lw$neighbours, style="B"), mat, check.attributes=FALSE)

shows. Use of British English spelling is rooted in usage in Cliff & Ord
(1973).