[R-sig-Geo] Integrating a trajectory

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Thu Feb 26 17:26:17 CET 2015

In two dimensions, interp() from the akima package would be a good
starting point. You might have to first generate a set of suitably spaced
lon,lat coordinates along the trajectory, depending on how the trajectory
is stored.

In the absence of something already existing for your 3d situation, I
suppose it could be done by first interpolating in 2d at altitudes above
and below the trajectory, then doing vertical interpolation between them.
I doubt that would be the most accurate interpolation, but it might be
good enough.

If you go to CRAN task view "CRAN Task View: Handling and Analyzing
Spatio-Temporal Data", there is a whole section "Moving objects,
Trajectories".

-Don

--
Don MacQueen