[R-sig-Geo] block and output grid size in block kriging

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Feb 12 19:20:55 CET 2015

The drawing (thanks!) suggests that you think that the point over which
a kriging block is centered is not the center point of a grid cell. This
is wrong: the coordinates of grid cells, obtained e.g. by

require(sp)
demo(meuse, ask = FALSE)
coordinates(meuse.grid)

are grid cell centers. You can verify this, e.g. for the first 20 grid
cells / pixels with

plot(as(meuse.grid[1:20,], "SpatialPolygons"))
points(meuse.grid[1:20,])

I also tried to point out in my previous answer that you are not looking
at "ordinary kriging" vs "block kriging", but at "ordinary point
kriging" vs. "ordinary block kriging". If your observations are not
constant and you don't use a pure nugget model, point kriging and block
kriging estimates will always be different.