[R-sig-Geo] stack many files without loading into memory

Dominik Schneider Dominik.Schneider at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 4 21:41:01 CET 2015

I think you are correct.
s=stack(fn,quick=T)
writeRaster(s,'localpath/2012data')

would get the data local. I guess the trade off is that the file size is an
order of magnitude bigger than if I saved them in an .RData file but much
quicker to access.
ds

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Dominik Schneider <
dominik.schneider at colorado.edu> wrote:

> Wouldn't that keep the link to the server on which they are stored now?
>
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Michael Sumner <mdsumner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Why not stack(fn)
>>
>> ?
>>
>> On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 06:41 Dominik Schneider <
>> Dominik.Schneider at colorado.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi -
>>> I have some data on a server but would like to bring them local in a
>>> somewhat compressed format that is still easy to access.
>>>
>>> /Volumes/hD/2012 -> 100 geotiffs
>>> ~/project/data/ -> store those geotiffs here without needing server
>>> access.
>>>
>>> untested, I think I could do something like:
>>> s=stack()
>>> writeRaster(s,'2012stack')
>>> fn=list.files('/Volumes/hD/2012',pattern='*.tif',full.names=T)
>>> lapply(fn,function(f){
>>> s=stack('2012stack')
>>> r=raster(f)
>>> names(r)=gsub(pattern='.tif',replacement='',basename(f))
>>> s=addLayer(s,r)