[R-sig-Geo] stack many files without loading into memory

Dominik Schneider Dominik.Schneider at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 4 20:40:39 CET 2015

Hi -
I have some data on a server but would like to bring them local in a
somewhat compressed format that is still easy to access.

/Volumes/hD/2012 -> 100 geotiffs
~/project/data/ -> store those geotiffs here without needing server access.

untested, I think I could do something like:
s=stack()
writeRaster(s,'2012stack')
fn=list.files('/Volumes/hD/2012',pattern='*.tif',full.names=T)
lapply(fn,function(f){
s=stack('2012stack')
r=raster(f)
names(r)=gsub(pattern='.tif',replacement='',basename(f))
s=addLayer(s,r)
writeRaster(s,'2012stack')
})
Or is it better to save to a .RData?
Is there a better way that doesn't require me to loop through each geotiff
since I can't load it all into memory.
Thanks
Dominik