[R-sig-Geo] rgdal 1.1-1 bug?

Worrall, James -FS jworrall at fs.fed.us
Fri Dec 4 19:26:03 CET 2015

We have been happily using rgdal to read and write ESRI Shapefiles.  Recently my colleague began using it.  We noticed that after saving and reopening files, many polygons had been reconfigured, as if the order of the vertices had become jumbled and there were many straight lines cutting across the polygon.  I'm not sure if an image can be pasted in this list but I'll try.
I did the same thing on my computer and the problem did not occur.  We found that I had an older version of rgdal, 1.0-7.  When I updated it to 1.1-1, the problem occurred just as it had with her.
Simply opening and saving a shapefile causes the problem and essentially jumbles the shapefile.  The bug, if it is one, was introduced after 1.0-7
I will attach images of one complex polygon, before and after saving with writeOGR.
Jim