[R-sig-Geo] save SpatialPolygonsDataFrame as dxf file

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Dec 1 18:41:33 CET 2015

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, Milan Cisty wrote:

> Hello,
> I would like to save SpatialPolygonsDataFrame as dxf file. Sorry if I am
> doing trivial mistake, but please what is wrong on this:
>
> p = Polygon(coords = matrix(c(1,2,2,1,1,1,2,2), ncol = 2))    #this is
> square 1x1
> p1= Polygons(list(p), ID=1)
> p2=SpatialPolygons(list(p1))
> p3=SpatialPolygonsDataFrame(p2, data = as.data.frame("1"))
> writeOGR(p3, dsn = "square.dxf", layer = "entities", driver="DXF")
>
> and last command gave me following message:
> Error in writeOGR(p3, dsn = "square.dxf", layer = "entities", driver =
> "DXF") :
>  Creating Name field failed
> (some dxf file was produced, but it has nothing drawn in it)

No idea, nor can I find any example of how to use the file creation
driver. This isn't a driver in active use anywhere really. I think that
the issue is that DXF doesn't want attributes associated with geometries -
to judge from copying p3 to GRASS and writing with v.out.dxf. writeOGR
needs attributes.

Roger